Sunday, October 6, 2013

The 7 literary wonders of the World Part 1

Hi!

(When I pasted that picture in, it was the size of the world! :-) )

So I was brainstorming ideas for this week's post, and then I thought of the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus (spelt that right-first time), and then remembered when I read a book about that...a long time ago.
This is a big post, so I'll do the second half next time.







SO, my 7 literary wonder of the world are: (no particular order)
1. Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen

This book is gorgeous, written at a time when Austen's own love life was being decided (the film is so sad, but very good!). You have the Bennets, with a hilarious Mother and too many girls, who are only available for marrying off. On the cover of that book is Elizabeth and Jane, the two main characters who fall in love. Well, technically, sensible Jane falls in love with a rich man whose best friend happens to be an even richer man.....
If you haven't read it, watch the film first. Then read it. (Who's gonna watch Death at Pemberley? On the BBC?)


2.  You're a Bad Man Mr Gum, Andy Stanton

Just the look of this book makes you want to jump off your chair 'like a guilty onion' and go and buy it. If that hasn't inspired you, then obviously 'The truth is a Lemon Meringue' and you are a 'lazy snorer' (as said the pan-whacking fairy).  I read them, 6 year olds read them. We all read them.
It should be made into a film, and is the sort of investment book, where you can read it, finish it, then read it again. Forever and ever and ever. Mr Gum is a bad man, who has a stinky old house, but an immaculate garden, thanks to the encouragement of the local fairy. So what happens when Jake the Dog leaves presents on the lawn?

3. Grave Mercy, Robin La Fevers

I have spent way too much time talking about this. It may get to  the point where it has a whole page dedicated to it.

All I shall say is that RLF's page is visited too many times to look for news of Mortal Heart, and Ismae and Sybella are my screen saver.

So sad. But so amazing (if anyone has the ear of a film company, I would see this about a thousand times).

4. Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief, Rick Riordan

Has it occured to anyone that that could be read as the Lighting thief?
The film is awful (see previous posts), but the books are amazing. Doing a CLassics exam? Read them.

Think myths in the modern world. Add some seriously cool fight scenes, weapons and magic, and you have some of the best books ever. Tuesday is when the House Of Hades comes out. I have it on my phone and my copy pre-ordered.



Til next time,
The Book Fridge :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment