Saturday, September 14, 2013

Review #5 SIA by Josh Grayson

Hey!

Wow! 2 reviews in 2 weeks! 
So whilst my printer spits paper onto my feet, I shall be reviewing this. Disclaimer:

I was sent this book by NetGalley on behalf of the publisher for a fair, honest review. I am not benefiting financially from this, or in any other way.

Yeah, so....
Rating:8/10
For: Emotional conflict lovers, sciency people and people-who-want-a-good-book
Sia is all about reinventing yourself as a person and undoing past mistakes. Who you are and what your purpose is. Which is cool and involves many tears. And is hard. And my keyboard doesn't work. Such is life. 
Blurb: When seventeen-year-old Sia wakes up on a park bench, she has no idea who or where she is. Yet after a week of being homeless, she’s reunited with her family. At school, she’s powerful and popular. At home, she’s wealthy beyond her dreams. But she quickly realizes her perfect life is a lie. Her family is falling apart and her friends are snobby, cruel and plastic. Worse yet, she discovers she was the cruellest one. Mortified by her past, she embarks on a journey of redemption and falls for Kyle, the “geek” she once tormented. Yet all the time she wonders if, when her memories return, she’ll become the bully she was before…and if she’ll lose Kyle.

Wehey! I love this book, because of the way it gives you so much information about Fugue Amnesia, which Agatha Christie had (she woke up in a hotel in Harrogate not remembering anything. Google it). Sia is homeless, until she stumbles into a taxi and wakes up in hospital. She is reunited with her family and goes back to school, trying to live her life as normally as possible.

Her parents are rich, and as many are today, repulsed by homeless people. I love the way Grayson has portrayed them, telling their stories and making them utterly believable. In fact, that was one thing that impressed me the whole way through-the authenticity of the characters. Sia was totally believable and I could relate to her constantly.

Personally, though, I would have liked the cheerleaders a bit pushier for her to get back to the world of poms (is that right? I don’t cheerlead myself). I almost felt that the characters needed to be a bit larger and more in-your-face. And Duke. I love the way he is portrayed, but he seems too nice. He needs to try to get them back together more, or to start dating Amber. Finally, could we have a bit more joining of the dots? I felt like Sia needed to do some more detective work.

I wish Josh Grayson the best of luck with Sia, and will definitely be reading more of his novels.

The Book Fridge J

Favourite books guys? What’s your comfort read? Views on classics?









No comments:

Post a Comment