Saturday, September 7, 2013

Review #4, You are mine by Janeal Falor

17406760
Rating: 9/10
A great book for: Harry Potter fans, people who like magic, people looking for a read that raises moral questions...

Watch out for: This whole book is about the oppression of women. However, it is really good, and not too violent.

Synopsis: Serena knows a few simple things. She will always be owned by a warlock. She will never have freedom. She will always do what her warlock wishes, regardless of how inane, frivolous, or cruel it is. And if she doesn’t follow the rules, she will be tarnished. Spelled to be bald, inked, and barren for the rest of her life—worth less than the shadow she casts.

Then her ownership is won by a barbarian from another country. With the uncertainty that comes from belonging to a new warlock, Serena questions if being tarnished is really worse than being owned by a barbarian, and tempts fate by breaking the rules. When he looks the other way instead of punishing her, she discovers a new world. The more she ventures into the forbidden, the more she learns of love and a freedom just out of reach. Serena longs for both. But in a society where women are only ever property, hoping for more could be deadly.


So, I picked up this book, began reading and was blown away. 'My blood will entice warlocks to ask for my hand in marriage, so of course Father wants it spilled.' That's the first line. Hits pretty hard, doesn't it? 
'The sooner the magic within it is measured, the sooner he can sell me off.' Ask anyone who was near me the day I read it, and you will know that my nose was physically glued to it. This, for me, is a good sign. 

So, her father owns her, then she is sold to Thomas. Then, ______ ____, and she won by an Envadi, or The Envadi, as he is called by her. His country, we gradually find out, is similar to the ideas we have f a modern world: women are not owned, not sold, and he refuses to punish Serena. But she must marry him, or become a Tarnished, bald, tattooed and barren, considered as outcasts.

I was sent this book by NetGalley on behalf of the publisher for a fair, honest review. I am not benefiting financially from this, or in any other way.


Have fun!

The Book Fridge :-)

I think most people are back to school now. What's your back to school read? Google plus me HERE, email me HERE. Vote on the poll! Read more! 

No comments:

Post a Comment